1. Word Sort: sort words according to different categories such as: part of speech, phonogram, etc.
3. Spelling Stairs: start at the bottom, add one letter at a time to complete the word.
a r r o w
a r r o
a r r
4. Write misspelled words several times (5, 10, etc)
5. Dictionary: Look up 1 (or more) word in the dictionary and write the following for it:
The guide words on its page
Part of speech
6. Categorize the words: e.g. part of speech, number of syllable, # of vowels, animals, people, etc.
You can pre-assign categories or have student fit the words into their own categories.
7. Find antonyms for the words
8. Synonyms -find/look up synonyms
10. Pronunciation: Have student pronounce all the words correctly.
11. Fill in the blank with the correct word
12. Write each word in a sentence. Try to use the grammar skill you are working on in the sentences.
13. Anagrams (How many words can you find in a bigger word?)
14. Brainstorm to find additional words that fit the spelling pattern
15. Proofread a list of words or sentences, or paragraph
16. Meaning match: match words with their correct definition
17. Plurals, write the plurals of nouns
18. Prefixes. Add prefixes to form new words.
19. Suffixes. Add suffixes to form new words.
20. Unscramble sentences
21. Go together, what belongs, what doesn’t? In a list of words which go together.
22. Keep a journal of the misspelled words for review
23. Bingo/Cover Up
24. Tic Tac Toe (Must spell the word correctly to place your X or 0). Draw miscellaneous shapes/letters instead of X's or O's.
25. Ladder Game. Draw a ladder or stairs or other picture. Student must spell each word correctly to move up a rung or stair or pick an apple from a tree. Put a “treat” at the end of the course.
From www.teach.netRainbow Words - Write your words in three colors
Picture words - Draw a picture and write your words in the picture.
Story words - Write a short story using all your words.
Surround words - Write your words on graph paper and outline in colors.
Ransom words - Write your words by cutting out letters in a newspaper or magazine and glue them on a paper.
Pyramid Words - Write your words adding or subtracting one letter at a time. The result will be a pyramid shape of words.
Words-in-words - Write your word and then write at least 2 words made from each.
Dirty Words - Write your words in mud or sand.
Pasta Words - Write your words by arranging alphabet pasta or Alphabits. Glue on paper or bring me a note from a parent and do on a table or counter at home.
Reversed words - Write your words in ABC order -backwards!
3D words - Use modeling clay rolled thinly to make your words. Bring a note if done at home.
Magazine words - Use an old magazine or newspaper and find your word. Cut it out and glue it on paper.
Sound Words - Use a tape recorder and record your words and their spelling. Then listen to your tape, checking to see that you spelled all the words correctly.
X Words - Write two words having one common letter so they criss-cross.
Other Handed - If you are right-handed, write with your left, or vice versa.
Silly String - With a long length of string, "write" words in cursive, using the string to shape the letters.
Backwriting - Using your finger, draw each letter on a partners' back, having the partner say the word when completed.
Newspaper Words - Search a newspaper page from top to bottom, circling each letter of a word as you find it.
30 Second Words - Write a TV commercial using all the words from your list.
Popsicles - Make words using popsicle sticks.